Saturday 22 October 2011

Time

To state the obivous, time is a paradox.

It is both something inner - the way in which we experience the world as a stream of events and consciousness - and something we are within - the "cosmic" passage of time that encompasses past, future and present.

As such it is both something personal - my experience of the ever receding present - and something shared - that by which we can be said to "share" a present.

And it is both something finite - something we never have enough of; our time is constantly "running out" - and something infinite - time stretches out as far behind and and far ahead of our own lives as it is possible to consider from the perspective or our own finitude, making it part of the very limit of how we can understand being and creation.

All I really know is that I'm struggling to keep up with it. Perhaps if I'm allowed to work on my thesis at somewhere close to the speed of light, then things will be ok? Although I'm not sure what effect that will have on the word count.

No comments:

Post a Comment